Friday, January 13, 2012

Recent Happenings

     It's been really hard for me to believe that we have been living in London for almost 2 weeks. Not visiting, but living here. Maybe things will become more real once we move into our flat tomorrow, which, by the way, is completely perfect for us. I was getting very frustrated during our flat search when numerous letting agents would glaze over, in-person or over the phone, at the phrase, "We have a small, house-trained dog." Andrea and Mike, our friends that we have been staying with the past 2 weeks, told us when they would walk their two dogs, Hannahbelle and Kricket (adorable Japanese Chin), that people would actually cross the street to avoid walking past them. Japanese Chin are sweet, little dogs and hardly anything to be afraid of. I can somewhat understand someone being nervous by a large dog, but a small one on a leash? I can also understand a landlord's hesitancy to allow dogs, but if they are trained, then what is the problem? I realized that I can say all day that I have a small, house-trained dog, but that is not what they picture. It is my word (someone they don't know) that they have to trust. Why bother chancing it? I was almost at my wits' end, when one day last week, I went to a website called Gumtree (US equivalent would be Craigslist), and began searching for pet friendly flats. I only found two options, and one of those options was not in our price range. So, I sent a detailed email to the other ad, informing them about Monk and that we could move in at any time, and the next day received a reply for a viewing. After our walk-through, we knew this was the place, and things were on a roll from there. Our landlords were the previous tenants, so the flat is in great condition and they have a small dog. Our letting agent told us the landlords were happy to have a couple with a dog moving in. :) Jeff and I did not expect to hear that because it is not the norm here. So now, Jeff and I have an affordable place to live in that not only has all of our needs, but wants as well. It's a 2 bedroom, ground floor flat that has a private garden, dishwasher, 3 fireplaces (only one works), good furnishings, storage, character, and an enjoyable walk to the tube/stores/park. We really were not expecting it all to work out this well, but it has and we are so grateful. Here are some photos from the ad I found online.
Reception Room/Guest Bedroom


Master Bedroom

Dining Room
Kitchen
Laundry (entrance to Bathroom)
Bathroom
Garden

     Jeff has been enjoying work, and he found out, earlier this week, a couple of projects will take him to Ireland and Scotland sometime in February. Not sure if I will be able to go because I might have a job by then. Maybe a weekend trip though!

     As I had said on Facebook, I have applied for more than a handful of jobs, and am just now receiving responses about interviews. My first is next Tuesday, and I am a bit nervous about it. Thank you to those who have been praying! Greatly appreciate it!


     Jeff and I were introduced (thanks Andrea and Mike!) to this awesome, contemporary rendition of Sherlock Holmes. It stars Benedict Cumberbatch, and wow, he was the perfect choice for the role of Sherlock! Good stuff.

     We are on the second go-around with selling our house in the states. These buyers have been less  easy to deal with, but really, Jeff and I don't want a mortgage and rent to deal with. So, we are just praying this time, everything goes through.

    There have been a shortage of pictures of London because I haven't been able to take any. Currently, Jeff has been using a tiny Nokia phone, provided by his work, and I have been using a pink RAZR (thanks Bec!). They are definitely no match to the iPhone, but they fulfill their original purpose. Jeff and I aren't sure when we will be able to get iPhones. Hoping to within the next week, if not two. The camera we have uses rechargeable batteries, and we can't use an adapter to recharge them, so we've got to get new ones.  

     So what now? We move in tomorrow and begin preparing for Monk to fly over in a month or so. I am hopeful to get settled soon. My history of unpacking, when Jeff and I have moved before, is not too good. We will soon scope our area out for a church to get involved with. I know it's out there, and God will lead us to it. Jeff and I do miss our church family at The Village. What great community we had there! We also miss our families in Frost/Dallas/Denton/Ft.Worth and everywhere else! I am very thankful for Skype and a free texting number through Google.

     That is all for now. Thanks to those who have been reading. Hope everyone has a great weekend! :)   

       

4 comments:

  1. OMG! such good news, and such a beautiful flat! i'm so excited that things are working out so well for you. Heavenly Father really loves yall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your new flat! I will keep praying for you guys. God is definitely blessing and leading you. Thanks so much for the updates on your grand adventure! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flat looks fabulous and I love the garden patio... Do you want me to ask around about churches in your area? shoot me an e-mail about it. my friend Jeremy Pace has contacts there through Acts 29.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah & Jeff,

    I loved finding your blog! We loved London when we were there in June, 2011. Didn't like the blood pudding, but the homemade bread was fantastic & hearty. I'll keep reading...

    ReplyDelete