Monday, January 2, 2012

In London, We Are

     Yes, the title of this blog is in Yoda speak. The reason for this is because Yoda came with us to London. Let me explain why we have Yoda. Last year, a family tradition was started on Jeff's Mom's side, where during the Chinese Christmas, a stuffed Yoda doll along with a photo album is included as one of the gifts. Whoever ends up with the gift has to take pictures of Yoda, during the year, wherever they happen to be. We are in London, so everyone decided we should become the caretaker of Yoda for the next year. I'd taken a few photos of him on my iPhone, but that was left in the states because Jeff and I will be selling them and getting new iPhones here. I've only taken one photo of him with my camera. Yoda found a comfy spot to chill before the flight to London.  

Yoda waiting to board the plane.


     Jeff and I arrived in London at 7:30 in the morning (back in Texas, it would have been 1:30 in the morning). We decided fly with British Airways instead of American Airlines because Jeff had read their coach seats were a bit roomier. I am not really sure if they were any comfier than AA's seats, but I really wasn't focused on that (too much) because I was too busy sweating myself to death. Yes, I am being a little dramatic, but the flight (temperature wise) was very, very uncomfortable. I am naturally cold-natured, while Jeff is very, very hot-natured. If I start sweating, then Jeff is already dehydrated. The one plus to flying with BA's is that their movie selection on the plane is way better than AA's.

      Once we landed in London, we went to baggage claim and tried to round up 9 large bins, 2 large suitcases, 2 large carry-ons, 2 large personal items, a bulging purse and Yoda. We met the driver and made our way to the 8 passenger van that we had rented. The driver was so kind to load our huge haul in the van. I'm sure his back thanked him the next day. We arrived at Andrea and Mike's at 9:30, unloaded our life out of the large van, and chilled for a bit. It was so nice to sit down with my legs stretched out and not tucked under my chin. The rest of the day was full of searching for a flat and sleeping.

     Today, we woke up bright and early around 1:30 in the afternoon. Jeff and I ate with Mike and Andrea at Nando's, a place with yummy chicken pita's and refills that are FREE! I was sad to find out that 99.9% of the restaurants in London don't do free refills. I was expecting tap water at lunch (oh and say tap water because you will get charged otherwise), but to my huge surprise, we ate at the one place here that offers free refills. Thankfully, the glass sizes in London are much smaller than in the states, so even with refills, I still didn't consume half as much as I normally would. Yay for less calorie consumption! Now if I could just shake the soft drink habit completely...

     Tomorrow, Jeff goes to his first day of work in London. He is excited and not too nervous. His first week should just be orientation, so he will be able to ease into a normal routine. Tomorrow, I will continue to search for a flat, apply for jobs, and go shopping with Andrea. We are going to Anthropologie in Chelsea, and I am super siked! I don't own a lot from there, but I just really enjoy looking at all the trinkets and clothes. A lovely day, it will be.

    

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you made it safe and sound. Yoda is one lucky doll this year! You will have such wonderful adventures - especially if you hang out with Andrea and Mike! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you put music on your blog???? I WANT TO DO THAT!

    ReplyDelete