Monday, January 30, 2012

A Bit of Our Weekend

After a full day of online shopping (for flat related items) on Saturday, Jeff and I went to a dinner party! Through Andrea and Mike, we were introduced to a really nice couple, with two adorable, little girls. We all had a wonderful time. Saturday night was full of great conversation, guacamole dip and Spaghetti Bolognese! When Jeff and I were leaving the hosts' flat, we noticed something interesting in the elevator.

Never have I seen a -1 floor.

      Before our long day of searching, and eventually purchasing pots/pans/oven trays/electric tea kettle, Jeff and I started Sunday off at a cute cafe in Wimbledon.

Our view at breakfast.

Breakfast tea w/ milk and a brown sugar cube.
 
My breakfast - Toasted English muffin with bacon, baby spinach, poached egg & hollandaise.

Jeff's Full English breakfast - smoked back bacon, gloucester old spot cumberland sausage, black pudding, mushroom, baked tomato, fried eggs & toast.

What is black pudding? Oh, it's just a blend of onions, pork fat, oatmeal, flavourings - and blood (usually from a pig). Yep, congealed pig blood. And as weird as it may sound, I tried it and liked it. I can't really explain the flavor, but it is good. Really good.

     After breakfast, we headed to Chelsea to shop. I really enjoy the public transportation here. The double-decker bus is my favorite way to get around the city because you get to see so many beautiful things.

Our view from the top.
 
View of the Thames at low tide.

View of the Thames at high tide. Taken on our way back from shopping.

     Before Jeff and I made it home, we stopped by Sainsbury, a local supermarket, to buy ingredients so we could cook our first meal in our flat. We encountered this before we made it in.

One pound coin to use buggy.
 The coin is refundable as long as you return the buggy. No big deal. I was enlightened about this interesting practice before we moved here, so it was not a surprise. Andrea's experience was a bit different, and you can check that out here. Thanks again Andrea for filling us in and the sweet blog. :)

For dinner, we ended up having spaghetti, caesar salad and garlic bread. Great first cooked meal. What made it even better was this new tomato sauce that Andrea shared with Jeff and myself. While we were staying with her and Mike earlier this month, she made spaghetti one night, with the awesome tomato sauce, and (goodness!) it was so delicious. You can check out the recipe here, and you won't be disappointed. But beware, lots of butter involved.

Finished product. So delicious!

Jeff and I also ended the day with a nice cup of tea.

The awesome electric tea kettle.

My Pooh mug and Jeff's Philip mug. ;)


Yes, it may seem a bit strange to have a mug with my brother's face on it. I don't remember when we received this awesome gift, but I just really love the fake facial hair that Philip drew on his face (with marker, I believe). Just another reason why I love my brother so much.

     There is still a large list of things that our flat lacks, but that will all come in time. All in all, not a bad day.


4 comments:

  1. Such great pictures! I felt like I was experiencing all if it with you guys. Miss and love you both, so glad to hear about your fun adventures across the pond. Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog. The pictures are amazing, and I find myself thinking about what it must be like to live there, and what it must have been like in the past. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing about each adventure, but at the same time it reminds me how much I miss you! Keep them coming....I love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete