Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Mind The Gap

     So yes, it has been awhile since I've written a post. And yes, I remember what I said here. Even though I didn't keep my end of the bargain, I figured it was still OK for me to give this another whirl. However, this time I make no promises on how long the gaps may be between my posts! ;) Considering Jeff and I have some big news that is not only life changing but approaching quickly, I should have some good stuff to keep me posting for many, many weeks to come. :)
  
     Mind The Gap... I am sure you are wondering why this is the title of my post. Well, family and friends (for those who don't already know) Jeff received a transfer through his job and we are moving to London this January. Yes, London, England. And yes, in two months, we will be there. Mind you, even though I keep telling myself this is happening and that this is real life, I don't think I've fully processed that I will be leaving the states, and more importantly, my family and friends. I am in the "very excited" stage right now, but I know at some point, I will experience culture shock and completely realize that my family will no longer be less than 2 hours away from me.

     In spite of all the change, Jeff and I are really excited to see what God has for us over in London. We are super thankful that we already have a set of friends who: (1) have been living in London for a little over 3 years now, (2) when they lived in the Dallas area, were members of our church The Village, and (3) have been providing us with great information on moving overseas. We are extremely thankful for M and A!!! A is an avid blogger, and recently, she gave us some good advice about the buggies in London grocery stores, which you can read about here.

     Back to Mind The Gap. Apparently, a lot of transportation in London is public and done via the tube (train for us Americans). This phrase and sign "Mind The Gap" serves as a polite warning to the passengers to take caution while crossing the gap between the tube door and the station platform. Pumpkin Carving Day 2011, which happened to be yesterday (Halloween), was when I was introduced to this now well-known saying. Each year, Jeff and I carve each other a pumpkin. Most years, we have a theme or we will choose something we know the other really likes. This year's theme was, of course, about London. Since we will have no vehicles while we are in London and will be riding the tube to get anywhere, Jeff decided to carve "Mind The Gap" on my pumpkin. I carved Igor (read Eye-gore) and Dr. Frederick Frankenstein (read Fronkensteen) from Mel Brook's Young Frankenstein. I chose to carve this simply because Jeff really likes this movie and Marty Feldman (i.e. Igor) was an Englishman. I will say Jeff's idea and carving is way better than mine.

Here is what Jeff's creation looks like.
                                          

And, here's mine.
                                                      
     For right now, we are soaking up all of Texas, our family and friends as we can. The next couple of months are going to fly by. As for those wondering the question of how long we will be in London, all I can say is at least 18 months. After that, we'll see. :)

2 comments:

  1. Sarah. O-M-G. HOW EXCITING!! I'm so happy for you guys and would LOVE to see you before you leave! email me at mary.vickery@ gmail.com and let me know when you'll be in Frost again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very exciting for you! I know you will be deeply missed by friends and family, but I also know that God has tremendous plans for you. I pray that He richly blesses your time in London.

    ReplyDelete