Friday, April 20, 2012

First Trip Back

My first trip back to the states, since the big move, happened much earlier than was planned. My Papaw (Dad's Dad) was hospitalized, thought to have lung cancer, and not given long to live. It was on a Monday night in March that I decided I needed to leave as soon as possible so I could spend time with him, my Dad and family. Unfortunately, Jeff couldn't come back with me due to work, so the plane ride home was lonely, long, emotional and exhausting. I found out when I landed from Philip that Papaw had passed away sometime while I was in the air. It goes without saying that I was very sad  I didn't get to see him before he passed. I did get to speak with him on the phone a few days prior to tell him that I loved him and was praying for him. I know that he was in pain, and I am thankful that he didn't have to suffer long. I am also thankful that he was surrounded by many other family members. I am also extremely grateful for Trinity Mother Frances Hospital in Tyler. Before I was able to talk with Papaw on the phone, I was able to send him a message via the hospital's website. I had no idea that a hospital would offer "emailing a patient" as one of their services. I am so thankful they did and that I stumbled across it on their website. My Aunt Linda was with Papaw when the message was delivered. She told me when she read it to him, his face lit up and he smiled. Every time I think about that, I can picture his sweet face and am comforted. I just wanted him to know how much I loved him and how hard I was trying to make it back to see him. Even though I wasn't able to say those words to him myself, I am so glad he still heard them. Above all, I am thankful Papaw was a Christian and that he truly is at rest with Christ.

The first week I was back in Frost was spent with a lot of extended family at my parent's house, the visitation and graveside service. In spite of the circumstance, it was great seeing those that I normally don't see very often throughout the year. The second week I spent a lot of time with my parents and Bec, who was on spring break. Let me just say, how awesome it was that she, without my asking, canceled her spring break plans of going to Colorado with one of her best friends, to spend it in Frost with me. I am not sure if I really conveyed how much I enjoyed spending time with her that week - so Bec, if you are reading this, thank you again for staying. :) Philip had his spring break the week prior, so we were able to hang out then. I also had a great time hanging out with my favorite brother. ;) The two weeks spent with Mom and Dad was great too! All in all, with that bunch there was a lot of laughter, hugs and Taco Shop!

Two weeks sure seem to fly by quickly, especially when you want to see so many people. Jeff's parents live about 2 miles from my parent's house, so it made it easy to see them a few times, and it was great to catch up with them. I did miss out on seeing Kyle, but from what Mr. and Mrs. M. said, he's super busy but doing well. I was able to see three of my closest friends. It wasn't for long, but the time I was able to spend with each of them was wonderful. Another sweet, old friend was unable to make it down one weekend, because of work, I think, but don't worry Meredith, I am not holding that against you. ;) (Hope you are still planning on coming to see me!)

The first trip back was definitely an emotional roller coaster for me. I am glad to have spent some much-needed time with my wonderful family and friends. I was even reunited with my sweet pup (at DFW with Bec and Philip). I will need to blog separately about the experience of getting him over to London. Kind of rough, but glad it's over and that he's here. I sure missed his snugly self.

I'll end this post with photos I took during my visit. Thanks for reading!

Where's Monk?

Love my parent's backyard!

Visited Sweet Tangerine in Corsicana for the first time. Sweet place.

Met my sweet friend Nicole for dinner one night. So grateful to have her in my life.

Driving around with Mom, Dad and Bec when we came upon this.

Kudos to Bec for spotting these!

Bec and her effortless Katniss hairdo.

Bonfire with the family.

The essentials.

Even Toby hung out with us.

My last amazing SweetTart snow cone with cousin Jacob, Bec and Philip.

Lovely trees in my parent's yard.

The best.

Bec's goodbye kiss to Monk.

My last drive in the country.

Funny memories of this place. Italy, TX you could have been huge!

Lunch with Mom before I left for London.

My wonderful Mom (I love you TWWAM)

No comments:

Post a Comment