Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Well Overdue

So, it's been a year and a couple of months since my last post {shameful blush}. To say a lot has happened between now and then would be an understatement. Well, really the biggest {and most wonderful} change of all will occur in just a few short months... that being our sweet baby boy's arrival!!! (! x infinity) Before I go into more detail about Little M, let me summarize from February 2013.

  • Jeff and I joined a softball team last spring and played weekly games and some tournaments from May until August. It was a lot of fun playing together and making new friends. For those who know me, know that softball wasn't a sport that came natural to me. I remember playing in high school, and before stepping up to the plate, looking over at Coach Revill for the signals on what to do, and I don't think there was actually a time when I really knew what that was. I mean there was that one time I went for a bunt, which after the fact, Coach Revill made clear {in his stern yet humorous way} he did not tell me to do that. Surprisingly, I made it to base and my teammates were safe {to my memory at least}, but that was my first and last bunt made. It was very comical, and I can see why. My throwing was never the best either. I was pegged 'alligator arm' as my right arm never fully extended, at least from what I'm told. I did try to change it but practice didn't make perfect. Yeah, it's not a very pretty sight, but at least the ball gets where it needs to go. Right?
  • Our May bank holiday weekend involved seeing some of the interior views and both exteriors of Wayne Manor from Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises.

Batman Begins - the former Rothschild estate, Mentmore Towers in Buckinghamshire, England, where both interior and exterior scenes of Wayne Manor were filmed at.

           
The Dark Knight Rises - The Great Entrance Hall at Osterley Park House, located in the Borough of Hounslow, which is a part of the western suburbs of London. It served as the foyer of Wayne Manor.

The Dark Knight Rises - Wollaton Hall in Wollaton, Nottingham, England. It was taken over by the Nottingham City Council and turned it into museum of natural history, which is free to view by the public.

  •  On May 8, 2013, I witnessed the State Opening of Parliament for the first time. Oh, the pomp and circumstance! Being American, it's not something I'm used to but it's so different, been going on a long time and just really neat to witness.

 
The carriage with Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh.

  • Jeff and I celebrated our 6 year wedding anniversary with a trip to Italy. Amazing sights + kind locals + lots of pizza + even more pasta + an abundance of gelato = one great trip.
St. Peter's Square in front of St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City.  

Bust of Augustus Caesar in the Courtyard of the Pinecone in Vatican City.

The Colosseum in the center of Rome.

Jeff and I in front of the Trevi Fountain. 

View of Naples, Italy.

Double rainbow in Naples {that was all the way across the sky}.


Incredible view while walking on the 'path of the gods' to Positano.

  • Monk goes to Parliament - this is actually true and has happened more than once, even twice {a handful of times but not really on my watch}. Here's the proof.

Monk relaxing underneath my desk.


  • {Sarah} Westminster Mile in May, Independence Day 5k in July, Melon Dash 5k in July and Do It For Charity Santa Run 10k in December.
                         
Westminster Mile in front of Buckingham Palace.




Good ole' Abe and I at the Independence Day 5k.

Bec and I post Melon Dash 5k in Denton.
                       
Displaying photo.PNG
Santa Run 10k in Victoria Park.

  • Summer trip back to Texas {weekend trip to Austin with Jeff and his parents, lots of hang out time with family and friends, and plenty of Taco Shop, Sno Biz and other Tex-Mex favorites}.
  • I tagged along on a couple of Jeff's work trips to Prague, Czech Republic and the Dead Sea in Jordan. I could go on and on about both places. Prague is as beautiful as they say {even though having been through Luxembourg's capital, Luxembourg City, I'd say that place would give Prague a run for the money} and Jordan was completely different from anything I'd ever experienced. Our time there is definitely one of my favorites.
                              
Charles Bridge in Prague links Lesser Town on the left bank of the Vltava river and Old Town on the opposite side.

Old Town Square in Prague.

St. Vitus Cathedral, a Roman Catholic cathedral in Prague.
For those of you who didn't' know, the Christmas Carol "Good King Wenceslas" is about the same King Wenceslas that was buried in this tomb, which is housed in Wenceslas Chapel inside St. Vitus Cathedral.

Camel ride in the Wadi Rum in Jordan.



Such an incredible time, even though Jeff and I had no idea what our guide was singing.

Wadi Rum sand surfing.


Jeff and I during our day out in the Wadi Rum. There was lots of jeep riding, camel riding and rock climbing involved - all without sunscreen {which we left at home and hadn't found any in Jordan before arriving to the desert!}. Thank God we didn't fry - seriously!

Wadi Rum - this makes me want to go back.
The Treasury in Petra.

Jeff and I on top of Mount Nebo, where God showed Moses the Promised Land. {Deuteronomy 34:1}

At the Jordan River {that's Israel on the other side}. It is thought that Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist not far from this spot.

Our visit to the Jordan River.


The Jordan Valley Marriott Resort & Spa by the Dead Sea. I spent most of my time here while Jeff worked inside.

  • A few furry friends have come and gone {none Jeff would let me keep, but most did belong to someone}.
I fed this kitty for a few months, until he showed up one day with a 'Do not feed' collar on. Well, I still fed him a little after that.

This encounter was only for 5 minutes or so. I was waiting for a bus, and this furry friend came and sat in my lap.

It turned out this friendly kitty only lived a few streets over and some little girl was missing her a lot. Thank goodness for microchips.

Those are just some of the highlights of 2013. It was a wonderful, blessed year for us and filled with many incredible times. Stayed tuned for the next post, which will include finding out about the pregnancy and moving house.

No comments:

Post a Comment